The Argumentative Essay
The requirements of this essay are as follows:
1. The essay must be 3 pages with at least two (2) full pages. Those who do not meet this requirement will lose one letter grade automatically.
2. You must write an essay in which you argue for or against a point. You must choose your stance and then find examples to back up your argument. These must be strong, logical proofs, NOT opinion. Your thesis will be the only opinion expressed in this essay
3. You will have three topics to choose from for this essay. Choose a topic that is interesting to you. This essay requires outside sources. You may use classreadings, books, articles, and valid web sites. I will be teaching you how to cite this material. If you are unsure if a website is valid, ask! Go here to review MLA Citation.
4. This is a formal, academic essay. The use of "you," "we," "our," and "I" is NOT allowed. The writer should remain detached and objective. There should also be NO contractions in this essay.
5. Every essay must have an opposition and rebuttal before the conclusion of the paper. The opposition shows the opposing viewpoints to your argument. The rebuttal refutes those viewpoints and states why your argument is stronger. Do not use anything in the rebuttal that you cannot refute.
6. Here's the important part, folks.
You must use evidence to back up any statements. That means specific
examples and explanations. Don't use "I think"; this is your essay, it
is a given that this is what you think.
Structuring a Compare and Contrast Essay
I. Introduction. Begin by explaining the issue you are going to argue in a general way. End this paragraph with your thesis, which is your specific stand on the issue.
Thesis: People should buy hybrid cars because these cars conserve natural resources, are relatively inexpensive, and create less pollution than pure gas engines.
A. Point 1 (Conserve Natural Resources)
B. Point 2 (Relatively Inexpensive)
C. Point 3 (Less Pollution)
D. Opposition and Rebuttal (one or
1. Over the past few years, Southeastern has revamped its athletic program and brought football back to the university. Many believe that this is a good source of income and school pride. Others are not quite so optimistic. The opposition believes that college athletics create a double standard and devalue academics in favor of athletic competation. Argue for or against the SLU athletic programs. For good source material, go here .
2. Every year hundreds of books are challenged by various groups and organizations who hope to ban these books from public, especially children and young adult, veiw. Children's books, such as the Harry Potter and Goosebumps series, and young adult book authors like Judy Blume are constantly under fire, but award winning novels like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings are threatened every year as well. Argue for or against the banning of certain books. Give evidence to support your stance. For a list of banned and challenged books, visit the American Library Association.
3. For this section, we will be watching Natural Born
Killers and reading two essays about this movie. After reading these
essays, decide whether or not you believe that media violence spawns real
life violence and argue for or against that point..