Southeastern Louisiana University is pleased to submit its Compliance Certification Report for Reaffirmation of Accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges.
Southeastern is providing its submission for reaffirmation of accreditation in three versions for ease of accessibility – web site, CD, and paper copy.
Southeastern's complete submission is available on the Internet located at http://www2.selu.edu/sacs. The web site contains the entire Compliance Certification Report as well as all documentation in the form of web links. The web site also includes the Signature Page, the Summary Report, the Preface to the Report, the Faculty Credentials database, the General Catalogue, the University's Document Database, an alphabetic Index to all documentation, and other reference documents.
In addition we are providing a CD version of the submission that mirrors the report on the web site and provides faster access to the report. The CD includes the report itself, these Instructions, the Signature Page, the Summary Report, the Preface to the report, the University's General Catalogue and the Employee Handbooks. The CD can be used on its own to read the report and to review the general documents provided. The links to electronic documentation are active but you must be connected to the Internet to access them.
- A paper copy of the Compliance Certification Report is provided in your notebook.
Hardware and Software You Will Need
In order to read and navigate through Southeastern's electronic submission for reaffirmation of accreditation, you will need the following:
- Personal computer with Pentium processor and a CD drive
- An Internet connection
A T1 connection or broadband is recommended but not required*
- A standard web browser
Internet Explorer 5.5 (or greater) or Netscape Navigator 6.0 (or greater)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
Adobe Acrobat Reader is free software available at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
- Microsoft Word (for a limited number of supporting documents)
*Because some of the supporting document files are large, it may take a few minutes to open and view these documents if using a dial-up connection (28.8 or 56K connections).
The Preface to the Compliance Certification Report
Included on the website, the CD, and in the paper copy is a Preface to Southeastern's Compliance Certification Report. The Preface clarifies changes that have occurred at the University during the last several years which may impact the reviewers' understanding of the Compliance Certification Report and the supporting documents. For example, the Report itself references the admission standards in effect for Fall 2003, but the 2004-2005 General Catalogue will indicate a newer set of admission standards, and the admission standards will again change for Fall 2005.
General Navigation Tips
Compliance Certification Report
The table of contents page of the Compliance Certification Report links to the individual responses for each core requirement, comprehensive standard and federal mandate. The response is accessed by clicking on the Compliance Certification Report link on the home page of Southeastern's electronic submission. Each response indicates the judgment of compliance, the University's rationale for that judgment, and a documentation table.
- Page number references refer to the actual page number located on the documents themselves, not the page number listed at the bottom of the Acrobat Reader window.
- The documentation table located at the end of each statement of rationale provides a list of documents cited in the statement in the order to which they are referred. The location of the document is provided.
- Documents located on web sites not maintained by Southeastern include the location of a “local copy” made of the document as well as the location of the original document. Thus if an external web site not under Southeastern's control has a technical problem or changes the URL of the referenced document, the reviewer will still be able to access the local copy. The local copy is an exact copy of the original document and has not been altered. For all external documents, the narrative links to the “local copy” of the document.
- Many of the documents provided are “.pdf” files, accessible only through Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this software installed on your computer or you do not have version 6.0, you will need to download and install this free software from Adobe at:
Just follow the instructions provided for downloading.
You will find several tools in Acrobat Reader especially helpful:
The bookmark tab is located on the left hand side of the window and should automatically open with longer documents. Bookmarks allow faster navigation to particular sections of the document.
- Image size.
Located on the top tool bar, the image size of the document can be magnified by clicking on the “+” button.
- Continuous or single page view.
On the bottom tool bar are several icons that look like pages. Clicking on the Continuous icon will allow you to easily scroll from page to page using the hand tool.
The Reference Room gives quick access to general information about Southeastern, including the University's General Catalogue, Employee Handbooks, Electronic Fact Book, and Document Database. The Document Database contains Southeastern's policies, procedures, guidelines, memoranda and informational documents in a format that allows the user to easily search and access these documents. The alphabetic index of supporting documentation for Southeastern's Compliance Certification Report is also available in the Reference Room.
Quality Enhancement Plan
The working documents for the development and implementation of Southeastern's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) can be viewed in the QEP Team Workroom. Included are team assignments, meeting agendas of the QEP team and its subcommittees, as well as reports and other data resulting from the progress being made. Southeastern's QEP will be available for review January 2005.
CD Navigation Notes
As noted above, Southeastern has provided a CD version of its submission to SACS for Reaffirmation of Accreditation. The CD allows reviewers easier and faster access to the Compliance Certification Report. While it is faster than accessing the report directly on-line, it is not necessary to work with the CD. The CD mirrors the Compliance Certification Report web which may be accessed at http://www2.selu.edu/sacs/ using an Internet browser.
To Get Started
- Insert Southeastern's SACS Reaffirmation of Accreditation CD into the CD drive of your computer.
- Go to "My Computer," and double click on icon representing your CD drive.
- When the directory window opens indicating the contents of the CD, double click on the file named "Index." This should take you to the home page of Southeastern's electronic submission.
CD Navigation Tips
As you navigate through the files contained on the CD, you will be accessing two categories of files: those contained on the CD and those contained at various remote locations.
- However, all supporting documentation to the Report are on located on various remote locations and an Internet connection is needed to access these files. These files include the web pages maintained by various departments at Southeastern, information databases, and documentation maintained by external agencies as well as the “local” copies created and maintained on Southeastern's web site.
- In addition, the University's Employee Handbooks and General Catalogue 2003-2004 are included on the CD as separate files for easy reference. You may access them by clicking on the links in the Reference Room. However, all references to these documents in the Compliance Certification Report are linked to the version maintained on Southeastern's web site.