THE LOSS OF WETLAND ECOSYSTEMS
IN THE LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN BASIN
ASSOCIATED WITH POPULATION INCREASES
- Take a look at these images. The first is the extent of wetlands in 1950....
... and the second represents those portions of wetlands lost from 1950 to 1990.
Now consider these questions:
- Where did the wetlands go?
- How are the particular functions of these wetlands carried out now that there are fewer wetlands in the Lake Pontchartrain Basin?
- Are these functions carried out? If not by wetlands, how could these functions otherwise be accomplished?
- Where did the animals who lived in these wetlands go?