"How’s the Water?"
Water Quality Monitoring and Reporting
- Perform simple water monitoring experiments.
- Collect and analyze water quality data.
- Make observations and inferences about water quality.
- Communicate collected findings about water quality.
- Water quality testing materials and equipment per student team:
- Water testing kit
- Secchi disk
- Distilled water
- Copies of handout “What Do We Test?” (Page 128)
- Copies of handout “Factors Affecting Lake Pontchartrain” (Page 129)
- Copies of handout “How Do We Organize Data?” (Pages 130-133)
- Copies of handout “Monitoring Water Quality” (Page 134)
- Copies of handout “Water Quality Monitoring Worksheet” (Pages 135-136)
- Obtain water quality testing materials and equipment far enough in advance to become familiar with the techniques and procedures.
- Familiarize yourself with a local water testing site, if necessary.
- Prepare for field trip.
- Discuss water quality parameters with the class.
- Review mathematics skills necessary for the lesson.
- Demonstrate use of water quality testing materials and equipment to students.
- Working as part of a team, complete handouts: “What Do We Test?”, “Factors Affecting Lake Pontchartrain,” and “How Do We Organize Data?”
- Conduct water quality monitoring tests in the field, or get data from the website given.
- Complete handout “Water Quality Monitoring Worksheet.”
Finished with Chapter 5.
Continue on to Chapter 6