Capture moments in time, moments in the lives of estuary animals. Much like a photo, a news interview can probe, illuminate, and clarify interesting facts about the inhabitants of the estuary.
- Show a video of a local news program demonstrating different interview formats, sets, and techniques.
- Ask students to design a news program about the lives and habitats of selected estuary animals.
- Research the lives of selected animals found in the wetland areas. Information may be found in local environmental publications such as Louisiana Conservationist magazine or regional and national publications.
- Develop a script for the news program around a current theme in estuaries such as pollution, loss of wetland areas, development of wetlands, or fishing rights and regulations.
- Rehearse the news program, using costumes and commercials relevant to the estuary, its animals, and plants.
- Use pictures and slides from the Magic of the Estuary activity. Colorful pictures from environmental magazines may also enhance the presentation.
- Videotape the broadcast. Play the video tape for the parent organization at school, a class of elementary students, or as a special event for Earth Day or Beach Sweep!