Emergency Communication Methods
- Web Site - Due to the unreliability of telephone service during a storm, the best way to keep informed is to check the university's Web site, www.selu.edu. A red box at the top of the page will be used to file periodic updates, including any special announcements and instructions regarding the status of classes, notices on university openings and closings and access to facilities.
- Emergency Alert System - Students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to sign up to receive emergency e-mail, voice mail and cell phone text messages through FirstCall, the company Southeastern has contracted with to provide emergency notices. Sign up for this service by clicking on the "Be safe, Sign up" button at the bottom of the Southeastern home page or going to www.alertregistration.com/southeastern. Testing of this system is planned over the next few days to ensure maximum communication capability.
- Hurricane Safety Tips - Southeastern has published a hurricane safety brochure, which is available for pick up at University Housing or on-line at www.selu.edu/hurricanesafety. This Web page also includes links to a number of on-line hurricane tracking services.
- Extended Closure - If conditions following the storm warrant an extended closure period or interruptions of classes, activities or programs, Southeastern will activate a special emergency Web page with instructions and information for faculty, staff and students. This site will be backed up out-of-state so that if Internet access to the campus is disrupted, we will still be able to post messages and information. This will be especially helpful if individuals are displaced to other areas or regions, allowing them to "check in" and to let us know of circumstances that may impact their return to the campus. The check-in system will be activated only in the event of a significant closure.
- Emergency Telephone Network - If an extended closure of the campus is enacted, the university will activate an emergency telephone network to provide information and instructions to those who may not be able to access the Web site. Add 985-549-2000 and 1-800-222-7358 to your telephone contact list now.
- Contact Info - Please take this opportunity to update your contact information in the LeoNet system. Additionally, you are encouraged to compile a list of phone numbers of classmates and colleagues from different areas or regions. Others may have services you don't have at any given time and can provide you with a network for obtaining information that you may not be able to get on your own. Also, if you plan to evacuate, please make sure others are aware of your destination and know the best way to reach you.