|Southeastern Louisiana University||Course||Information||Orientation||Checklist||Communications|
NURS 600 ASSIGNMENT
CONCEPT ANALYSIS PAPER
A concept analysis is an exercise designed to make the student/researcher familiar as possible with a concept (variable). A concept is usually one or two words that convey meaning, understanding or feelings between or among individuals within a same discipline. Some concepts relevant to nursing are health, nursing, managed care, coping and parenting. A concept analysis is the first step in communicating meanings, understandings and feelings.
A concept is usually a measurable variable in an hypothesis, assumption, or proposition. Consider the following statements: What is the effect of mutual help groups for widows and widowers? Do nurses with baccalaureate and associate degrees differ in the use of therapeutic touch in providing nursing care? What is the effect of AIDS education on teenagers understanding of AIDS and HIV? The underlined words are examples of concepts.
Activities and Directions
To begin the process, choose a concept you are interested in, a term you encounter with your work or one with which you would like to research. Look for the measurable quality in your topic of interest, problem or question.
Write down all of the words you can think of which relate to or express
2. Ask colleagues to share their understandings of your concept.
3. Look up the concept in a large unabridged dictionary and list the definitions you feel most closely describe your feelings or thoughts on the concept.
4. Search the literature for journal articles and books related to the concept to get sense of the beliefs and thoughts of others in the discipline regarding theconcept.
5. Begin the analysis paper with a short introductory paragraph expressing what the concept is and why it is significant to you and nursing.
6. Develop your own definition of the concept which from dictionary definitions and literature support including criteria for measurement of your concept in the real world. Example: Table (concept)-a four-legged platform used to place objects on.
7. Formulate a list of characteristics or criteria that describe the concept in measurable terms so the concept can be measured in the empirical world. Use your definition, your clinical and theoretical experience, research and literature articles and books to make the list complete.
Characteristics-a. Four legs of the same length.
b. A flat or platform surface horizontal to the floor.
c. Used to place objects on.
Develop the Model Case. The model case is a brief situational
validating the concept including all of the characteristics you have listed
which describe or make up the concept. The model case should be able to
reflect that If this is not an example of (concept), then nothing is.
9. Close with a summary.
CONCEPT ANALYSIS PAPER
EVALUATION FORM (100 points).
I. Introduction (10 points)
A. Includes the aims & purposes of the analysis (0-3)_______
B. Justifies concept’s significance to nursing (0-7)_______
II. Definition of Concept (20 points)
A. Describes derivation of definition from common usage, &
nursing use (0-6)_______
B. Describes & cites a variety of appropriate authoritative
sources from the literature regarding nature of concept (0-6)_______
C. Student’s definition of concept reflects synthesis &
evaluation of definitions from appropriate sources (0-8)_______
III. List of defining characteristics (25 points)
A. Each attribute is clearly stated as succinctly as possible (0-5)_______
B. Each attribute is logically an essential element of the
concept as defined (0-5)_______
C. Each attribute is stated in as measurable a form as the
abstractness of the concept allows (0-5)_______
D. The listed attributes comprise all essential attributes of the
concept as defined (0-10)______
IV. The Model Case (25 points)
A. Is a logical example of the concept (0-5)_______
B. Includes all listed attributes of the concept (0-10)______
C. Includes no attributes of other concepts (0-5)_______
D. Is concisely stated (0-5)_______
V. Reference List (10 points)
A. Contains a variety of resources (0-2)_______
B. Resources are authoritative, “classic” resources are evident (0-3)_______
C. Nursing resources are explored (0-3)_______
D. Resources are sufficient in number to justify analysis (0-2)_______
VI. Layout and Presentation of Paper (10 points)
A. Precise APA format (0-5)_______
B. Grammar, spelling & typing at professional scholarly level (0-5)_______
Questions or comments about this course webpage should be directed to
Computing Policies and WWW Publishing
Copyright ©1999 Southeastern Louisiana University
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Unofficial and external sites are not endorsed by Southeastern Louisiana University.
Questions or comments about this site should be directed to the email@example.com.
SLU Information can be reached at (504) 549-2000
This page was last updated on