WHEREAS many organizations annually produce reports ranking colleges and universities; and
WHEREAS these reports are used by students, parents, and guidance counselors in making decisions about colleges and universities; and
WHEREAS Southeastern, like all public Louisiana universities, consistently scores poorly in these rankings; and
WHEREAS improving our ranking in such surveys will enhance our reputation and potentially attract more quality students and faculty.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that the Faculty Senate encourage the Administration of Southeastern to work to improve the ranking of Southeastern Louisiana University in these surveys by taking the following actions:
1. All of the requested data should be accurately and correctly reported.
2. When possible, departments offering multiple sections that have average enrollments of 20-25 students should cap most sections at 19 students and allow only a few sections to enroll 30.
3. When possible, departments offering multiple sections of classes that have average enrollments of 50-55 students should cap most sections at 49.
4. Southeastern should continue its efforts to attract students with high ACT scores and/or who are in the top 25% of their high school class.
5. The administration should continue and bolster its screened admissions policy.
6. The administration should continue to encourage alumni giving.
7. The administration should publicize what Southeastern is doing well, especially to other university presidents, provosts, and deans of admission.