Southeastern Louisiana University Faculty Senate

Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Alumni Center

 

I.                    Senate President David Wyld called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. in the Alumni Center.

A.     Membership Secretary Mary Sue Ply announced that three Senators had relinquished their positions and had appointed proxies to serve the rest of this semester until their terms end. She welcomed Joan Faust’s proxy (Reine Bouton from the English Department); Susan Coats’ proxy (David Shwalb from the Psychology Department); and Bryan DePoy’s proxy (Richard Schwartz from Music and Dramatic Arts).

B.     Senator Ply then called roll. Senators absent were: Bancroft, Davis, Hathorn, Higginbotham, Jeansonne, Kirylo, Li, Mark, Mitchell, Ratcliff, and Stewart.

II.                  Minutes from the December 1, 2004 meeting were unanimously approved.

III.               President Wyld asked the Senators to join him in sending thoughts and well wishes out to long-time Senate member Kent Neuerburg due to his wife’s illness. A card was circulated for Senators to sign.

IV.              Senator Wyld then introduced invited guests: SGA representatives Julie Perise and Luke Causey; Lori Smith from the Traffic and Parking Committee; and Milas Love, Southeastern’s Chief Judicial Officer.

A.     Luke Causey, SGA Senate Chairman, reported that SGA receives $45 in student fees per student each semester. These funds are used to fund various projects such as bringing in speakers, funding trips, and assisting different campus organizations. He added that SGA is currently lacking in membership, and asked Senators to put out the word to students they believe might wish to participate in SGA. The time commitment is approximately three hours per week. Student senators attend weekly SGA meetings, attend a committee meeting, and complete one office hour per week.

1.      President Wyld asked how many SGA seats were currently vacant.

2.      Mr. Causey said that, at full capacity, the student senate has approximately 65 representatives. Currently, they have only 16 student senators. He noted that both graduate and undergraduate students could participate in SGA. Further, the amount of money spent per project is directly proportional to a college’s representation. SGA has one student per 300 students per college. For example, The Colleges of Arts and Sciences and Business and Technology each have approximately 12 senate seats.

3.      Ms. Perise, SGA Coordinator, added that Business and Technology was almost fully represented, while the other colleges are all underrepresented.

4.       Mr. Causey and Ms. Perise said that SGA senators were required to be full time students and to have a minimum GPA of 2.0.

5.      In response to a question as to whether SGA needed to meet every week, Mr. Causey said weekly meetings were needed at this point to conduct all necessary business.

6.      Senator Ply said that, when recently trying to get SGA funds to take graduate students to a conference, she was told that a bill would need to be written. Mr. Causey said that a bill was not difficult to write. He added that a bill had to be sponsored by a senator, hence the importance of having representation from the respective colleges.

7.      Mr. Causey then broke down his calculations of the number of senators and seats for each college: Arts and Sciences has twelve seats and currently has three senators; Business and Technology has twelve seats and currently has nine senators; College of Basic Studies has nine seats and is not represented at all; College of Education has seven seats and one senator; Graduate Studies has seven seats and no one representing; Nursing and Health has six seats and two representatives; and there are five Freshmen “at large” seats.

8.      Senator Budden pointed out that the College of Basic Studies was now the College of General Studies.

9.      Senator Dassau asked when membership became a problem. Mr. Causey said that attendance has been an issue for over two and one half years. He added that officers receive a stipend for serving.

10.  Senator Ramsey joked that a good controversy might increase membership. Another Senator recommended the creation of a flyer to aid in recruiting efforts. Senator Coxe thought that the creation of a large computer lab might be something SGA could fund.

11.   Senator Wyld told Senators that the SGA application sheet would be posted on the Faculty Senate Web Site, or that Senators could also obtain information about SGA on its web site located at: http://www.selu.edu/StudentAffairs/SGA/

12.  Senator Wyld then thanked Ms. Perise and Mr. Causey for coming to make the faculty aware of the situation, and thanked Senators Hite and Stahr for asking that the SGA have the opportunity to do so.

B.     President Wyld welcomed Lori Smith to report on what was happening on the Traffic and Parking Committee.

1.      Ms. Smith said that she became chair of the committee in 2003, and provided Senators with a breakdown of the activities, proposals, and actions have been undertaken by the Traffic and Parking Committee during her tenure as chair, along with a summary of outcomes of the recommendations (See Addendums A, B, and C). Minutes from the last meeting of the Traffic and Parking Committee are included below as Addendum D.

2.      Ms. Smith said that she had recently talked with Dr. O’Hara to see if there were any updates on implementing the Chance Management recommendations. He said that, after the current building project was further along, those recommendations would be re-visited in the fall. There was also nothing to report on a recommended shuttle service.

3.      Senator Ply asked about alumni parking tags, which allow the alumni to park anywhere on campus except a handicap spot including in faculty and staff spots. Ms. Smith said that she believed such was true for the first year alums.

4.      Ms. Smith said it had occurred to her that her committee’s recommendations go to Dr. O’Hara who is VP for Student and Public Affairs, while many of the recommendations the committee is making would fall under “Facilities Planning” which would be reported to Stephen Smith. Therefore, in some cases they may be talking to the wrong VP, and may need to re-examine the communication processes.

C.     President Wyld introduced Milas Love, Chief Judicial Officer, to discuss the purposes, processes, and statistics of the Office of Judicial Affairs.

1.      Mr. Love told Senators that, since the relationship between academic affairs and judicial affairs is relatively young, he hoped to provide information that might clarify some of the communications and connections between these two areas. He said he wanted his presentation to inform Senators about ways his office might better assist them as they engage students in the learning process. Additionally, he welcomed any future opportunity to meet with Senators one-on-one to discuss and to answer questions about the discipline process.

2.      Mr. Love said that the purposes of Judicial Affairs at Southeastern are to assist the University community in its efforts to achieve a safe living and learning environment…one in which teachers are free to teach and students are free to learn; to help students learn respect for themselves, respect for others and respect for property; and to help change student behavior. He added his belief that his and our efforts should be intentionally educational, not punitive.

3.      The processes of judicial procedures at the University are, he said, guided by various laws, regulations, and polices:

a.       The 14th Amendment to the Constitution that states before we can deprive a student of his or her property or liberty interest, we must provide that student with certain due process rights.

b.      The court cases Dixon v. the Alabama Board of Education and Goss v. Lopez instruct us on what processes are due a student before depriving the student of property or liberty interest.

c.       Certain federal regulations tell us who may have access to student educational records (FERPA). Others federal regulations tell us what violations are to be reported to the federal government (Clery Act).

d.      Still other policies inform us as to how we should proceed in cases of sexual harassment (Title IX of the Higher Education Amendment) and sexual assault (Ramstad Amendment).

e.       The University has policies that instruct judicial action. These include the Academic Integrity Policy and the Student Code of Conduct. The Academic Integrity Policy directs actions on issues of alleged cheating and plagiarism.

f.        When a faculty member suspects a student of cheating or plagiarism, the faculty member meets with the student, discusses the charge, shares the evidence with the student, and gives the student an opportunity to defend him/herself. Afterwards, if the faculty member is convinced that the violation actually occurred, then the faculty member may give the student a lower grade or an F on the assignment, or a lower grade or an F in the course. The student has the right to appeal the faculty member’s decision to the department head and then to the dean. The appeal process ends with the dean.

g.       If the faculty member, department head, or dean believes that a particular violation warrants disciplinary sanctions in addition to academic action, the dean of the course may file a written complaint with the Office of Judicial Affairs. Upon receipt of such a complaint, the office follows the process presented in the handout/flow chart provided (see Addendum E).

h.       The student is notified of the charge and invited to a disciplinary conference. At the conference, the student is provided an opportunity to review the evidence, given his/her rights as a student in the discipline process, and provided an opportunity to tell his/her side of the story.

i.         If the student admits responsibility and accepts the sanctions offered by the Judicial Officer, the process may end at this point. However, if the student does not admit responsibility and/or does not accept the sanctions, or if the case rises to the level of possible separation from the University, the case is referred to a three to five member Student Conduct Hearing Board consisting of faculty, staff and students. This board determines whether or not the student is responsible and, if necessary, recommends sanctions. Sanctions range from verbal admonition, written warning, disciplinary probation, suspension, dismissal, and expulsion.

j.        Mr. Love told Senators that from August 2003 to December 2004, 1300 cases referred to judicial affairs. Of the 1300 referred cases, 70 were referred from academic affairs; 55 of those cases were referred for record purposes only; and 15 were referred for action. Of the 15 referred for action, 13 have been acted on and two are in process.

4.      President Wyld said that it had brought to his attention there are times when faculty members send cases to his office and, sometimes, they do not hear back about the disposition of their reports.

a.       Mr. Love said that in the Academic Integrity Process, complaints go from faculty, to department head, to dean. Only if a dean refers a case is it acted on. In the event of a behavioral issue, faculty can refer an issue. If a hearing results in a student suspension, a faculty member will be informed. If a sanction involves some action that a faculty member is to take, then a faculty member will be informed of that. If the sanction involves the student making an apology to the class for the behavior, his office will check with a faculty member to make sure that such has occurred. He added that, while his office wanted to provide faculty members with information that might be important, his office had to be careful about what information was supplied to a faculty member. If a student was given counseling, for instance, his office might not tell a faculty member in order to maintain confidentiality.

b.      In response to a question as to whether it would be possible to find out information of an applied and completed sanction without breaching confidentiality, Mr. Love said that he would like to look into the possibility of providing the faculty with more information.

c.       Senator Gonzalez-Perez asked how long a process took when a complaint had been filed. Mr. Love said that it averaged two to three weeks, depending on the seriousness of the complaint.

d.      Senator Gonzalez-Perez said there have been instances in her department of faculty members filing plagiarism complaints, and the students showing back up the next semester with no apparent sanctions having been given. Mr. Love said that a dean had to refer issues for his office in order for the office to act on them. He added that deans had a need to know, when they referred a case to his office, the outcome and asked how he might better be able to help faculty members about this issue.

e.       Senator Gonzalez-Perez suggested that it would be nice to be notified of the deposition, and believed that faculty members would be willing to provide documentation and to participate fully in the process.

f.        Mr. Love welcomed faculty participation, and added that he tried to balance the interests of the student, of the complaining faculty, and of the university. Since there are many opportunities for the entry of attorneys into the process, he said that it was important to be fair to all involved parties. He said that they do not necessarily try to kick students out of school, but to educate students and to change them in a positive way.

g.       Senator Prescott, having recently been through a process that involved academic integrity, praised Mr. Love and his staff for how well the process worked in her case. However, she observed that she had to create the documentation for the case she was involved in. Thus, she asked if his office could come up with a  ‘user-friendly’ form (i.e. routing page) that would facilitate the process and also provide information about the status of a case.

h.       Mr. Love said he would look into Senator Prescott’s suggestion.

i.         Senator Ply was curious where the other referrals mentioned came from.

j.        Mr. Love said that many cases come from University Police and Housing. Most cases are minor incidents related to Housing.

k.      Senator Norris said that she had referred a number of plagiarism cases to Mr. Love for informational purposes, and asked for clarification on the process relative to repeat offences.

l.         Mr. Love said part of the academic integrity policy says that, in the event there are multiple violations of academic integrity, the dean and/or the chief judicial officer can bring charges against that student. Therefore, his office monitors repeat offenders.

m.     He reiterated that it was a department head’s responsibility to report issues of academic integrity to the dean.

n.       Senator Wyld said that Library Director, Eric Johnson, was now heading up the efforts regarding the “turn-it-in.com” subscription, which should aid with the issues of plagiarism.

o.      President Wyld thanked Mr. Love for attending the meeting.

V.                 Old Business:

A.     Senator Root, Chair of the Professional Rights and Responsibilities Committee, reported that the committee is in the process of examining the Judicial Review process.

B.     Senator Nelson, Chair of the Faculty Welfare Committee, provided an update on the issue of streamlining internal grant processes. He said that he had talked to Tena Golding who was currently examining the pros and cons of submitting applications online. He said that Dr. Golding had requested more input from faculty on what was wrong with the current process. Senator Nelson asked Senators to send him additional feedback on what could be better streamlined at enelson@selu.edu.

C.     Senator Root said that the Professional Rights and Responsibilities Committee continued to explore the application requirement for search processes. Senator Ply added that she had just received a new policy that said that any acknowledgement letters that we send applicants must now indicate that, in Louisiana Teacher’s Retirement, we do not participate in Social Security.

D.     Senator Coxe, Chair of Constitution and Bylaws Committee, said that her committee was continuing to collect updates from the Senators.

E.      Senator Nelson gave an update on the Faculty Welfare Committee’s work regarding search committee compositions. He referred to Faculty Handbook:http://www.selu.edu/documents/policies/empl/p3_appt_to_faculty.pdf and to the Faculty Hiring Procedures from the Human Resources Handbook:

http://www.selu.edu/Administration/Depts/HumanResources/hroepfaculty.htm Senator Nelson pointed out that, based on the current language, each department might proceed differently in a search process. He did not know if standards across departments were wanted.

1.      Senator White said this had recently been an issue in her department, and believed there might be information in the procedures of Human Resources that needed examination and clarification. It appeared that a department head could appoint, and there was a question whether the Senate could say what a search committee could and could not do.

2.      Senator Armenta pointed out the sentence from the HR handbook that “recommended, but not required, that a search committee be formed to assist in the recruitment efforts for filling vacant positions.” This would appear to be separate from the selection process.

3.      Others commented that the wording was indeed vague.

4.      Senator Wyld said that the Faculty Welfare Committee would continue to work on this issue.

VI.              New Business:

A.     President Wyld said that with the new college reorganization, some reorganization would also need to be done with current Faculty Senate seats.

B.     Senator Ply, having prepared a draft of items that the Senate would need to consider (see Addendum F), moved that the issue be sent to the Nominations and Elections Committee to work through necessary changes.

1.      Senator Simoneaux seconded the motion.

2.      The senate voted unanimously to send the issue to the Nominations and Elections Committee.

VII.            Announcements:

A.     Representative Bostic presented the BOS/FAC report (see Addendum G.) President Wyld thanked her for representing Southeastern at these meetings and informed the Senate that Louise Bostic had been in a serious auto accident (escaping without injury) on her travels back from the December board meeting.

B.     President Wyld again thanked Senators Hite and Stahr for their ongoing work with SGA.

C.     Senator Wyld announced that the Academics Affairs Committee had recently met. He said the committee acted on the Senate’s recommendation regarding repeating courses elsewhere; on the responsible computing policy issue; and on the honors policy.

VIII.         The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m. The next meeting is scheduled for February 2, 2005.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jayetta Slawson

Recording Secretary

 

 

 

ADDENDUM A

 

RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE

January - March 2003

Compiled by Lori Smith, Committee Chair, 4/2/03

 

1.  Hang-tags are being chronically abused by students and their use should be discontinued.  Hang-tags should be replaced by decals as soon as possible.  (4/1/03 meeting - minutes not yet distributed) 

 

2.  Citations issued to vehicles without hang-tags should be issued directly to the registered owner of the vehicle rather than trying to tie the vehicle to a student.  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

3.  Citations issued to vehicles with student hang-tags should not be forgiven if it is claimed one of the student’s parents was driving the vehicle.  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

4.  Citations should continue to be issued for parking backwards in a parking space.  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

5.  Payroll deduction should be investigated as a way for faculty/staff to pay for their hang-tags.  Receipts could be e-mailed to faculty/staff that could then be taken to the University Police Department and exchanged for the hang-tag.  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

6.  The text on page 20 in the parking regulations (reasons for which an appeal will be denied) should be reviewed by Gene Pregeant.  If it would be helpful, the section might be reworded to say, "It is the policy of the Parking Citation Appeals Committee not to review any appeal..."  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

7.  If streets will be blocked and ID’s checked for evening events held on campus, this should be announced prior to the event.  (2/6/03 meeting)

 

8.  Faculty Senate recommendations (in a resolution approved 2/5/03) and responses from the Traffic and Parking Committee:

 

a.  Immediately and significantly increase the number and hours of parking enforcement personnel (ticket writers) - The Committee supports this recommendation.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

b.  Immediately institute an e-mail notification system to remind students of parking tickets - The Committee supports this recommendation and recommends that faculty/staff be included as well.  The Controller’s Office would likely need to send the reminders.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

c.  Increase the penalties for illegally parked vehicles from $25 to $100 - The Committee supports this recommendation but suggests that the increase should be widely and thoroughly advertised before it is implemented.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

d.  Prohibit students from pre-registration until all fines are paid - It is the Committee’s understanding that this practice is already in place.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

e.  Institute a policy of "booting" the cars of repeat offenders in which fines must be paid prior to the removal of the boot - The Committee supports this recommendation and suggests that it be implemented whenever sufficient equipment is available.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

f.  Immediately limit the number of days "warning" tickets will be issued to the first two days of each semester - The Committee recommends that warning tickets should be gradually phased out by dropping the number to two days for a semester or two, and then ceasing the practice entirely.  Again, the Committee recommends that the change in policy should be well advertised prior to being implemented.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

g.  Enforce parking regulations on law enforcement and other public vehicles not acting on official business - The Committee supports this recommendation.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

 

h.  Remove all freshman parking from South campus (98 spaces) prior to the commencement of the next academic year and institute a timeline to begin offering a shuttle service from North campus parking lots to South campus -  The Committee recommends that the existing freshman spots on South Campus be immediately reallocated to upper-class commuter, with or without the institution of a shuttle-bus system.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

i.  Institute a timeline to purchase and install gates on faculty lots - The Committee recommends that no further gates be installed until University Administration decides whether or not to purchase the centralized control software, etc., recommended by Chance Management.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

j.  Continue to consider implementation of the Parking and Access Management Strategy proposed by Chance Management Advisors, Inc. as necessary - See “k.” below.

 

k.  Only after the increased enforcement policies listed above have been implemented and a significant increase in compliance is seen, raise parking fees by $5-$10 per year in order to offset the loss in ticket revenue - The Committee agrees that all recommendations made in the Chance Management report should be considered by University Administration and those selected for implementation should be implemented in a logical fashion.  The Committee recommends that the task force charged with reviewing the Chance Management report continue and complete their review as quickly as possible.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

9.  As soon as it's possible, the full version of the parking regulations should be issued only on the web.  A one or two page summary of the most important regulations with a URL for accessing the full regulations could be distributed with campus maps.  (2/18/03 meeting)

 

10.  The University’s street re-naming committee should be encouraged to complete their work as quickly as possible so that the map and street signs can be changed accordingly.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

11.  Visitors should no longer be required to obtain a hang-tag after 4 p.m.  The Committee agrees that students and faculty/staff who will be on campus after 4 p.m. and on weekends should continue to be required to have a hang-tag.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

12.  Persons with a temporary handicap should be issued a temporary handicapped tag for up to one semester, and the expiration date of their tag should be based on a note from their physician that documents their estimated recovery date.  In general, the Committee feels the temporary tag should cover one week beyond the person's estimated recovery date.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

13.  A civil engineer or traffic engineer should be brought in to examine the intersection of SGA Drive and Tennessee Ave. and to recommend the best way to improve safety.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

14.  A civil engineer or traffic engineer should be brought in to examine the intersection of SGA Drive and Virginia (along with exits from the Lee Hall parking lot) and to recommend the best way to improve safety.  (3/12/03 meeting)

 

ADDENDUM B

 

RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE

Fall Semester 2004

Compiled by Lori Smith, Committee Chair

 

(All recommendations were made in response to suggestions generated by Mary Sue Ply.  All recommendations documented in minutes from the 11/4/2004 meeting.)

 

1.  The Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration provide the University Police Department with additional personnel so that they can have a more active presence on campus.

 

2.  To discourage students from pulling into faculty spaces, even for a short time, or from blocking traffic to wait for passengers or to chat with pedestrians, the Committee agreed to recommend against a media campaign and in favor of adding appropriate text to the regulations booklet.

 

3.  The majority of the Committee agreed to recommend against making changes to the current rules for alumni parking.

 

4.  The Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration consider installing gates on two or three faculty/staff lots on a pilot basis.

 

5.  The Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration seek approval from the Board to raise our fee to a level between $30 and $50.

 

6.  The Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration again consider ways to establish a shuttle service on campus.

 

7.  The Committee agreed to recommend that bike paths should be marked in those areas where there is sufficient space, and should be included in plans for future renovations of roadways. 

 

8.  The Committee agreed to recommend that additional sturdy bike racks should be purchased and placed in appropriate locations.

 

 

ADDENDUM C

 

RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE

Spring Semester 2004

Compiled by Lori Smith, Committee Chair

 

1.  The Committee unanimously agreed to recommend the creation of a long-term or frequent visitor hang-tag.  (2/10/04 minutes)

 

2.  Faculty Senate Resolution 03-04-08, Parking Area Changes:  The Committee agreed to recommend that at the end of this semester, one additional row of spaces in the Old Men's Gym lot should be returned to faculty/staff so that the lot is equally divided between faculty/staff and students.  (2/10/04 minutes)

 

3.  Faculty Senate Resolution 03-04-09, Parking Down:  After considerable discussion, the Committee agreed that the ultimate solution to many problems would be a shuttle of some sort.  Therefore, the Committee agreed to recommend that University Administration develop an RFP and pursue the institution of a campus-wide transit system.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

4.  Faculty Senate Resolution 03-04-12, Carpooling:  The Committee supports this resolution.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

5.  Faculty Senate Resolution 03-04-13, Speeding on SGA Drive:  The Committee agreed to recommend that stop signs be installed at high traffic crosswalks.  The Committee also agreed to recommend that stop signs be installed at the intersection of Tennessee and SGA Drive.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

6.  Faculty Senate Resolution 03-04-16, Parking Tag/Decal Conflicts:  The Committee agreed to recommend that such conflicts should be referred to Chief Marek and handled on a case-by-case basis.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

7.  The Committee agreed to recommend that no leniency should be shown to those who place the decal incorrectly.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

8.  The Committee agreed to recommend that the women's basketball coach acquire a cart of some sort to transport her materials and continue parking in section 5.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

9.  The Committee agreed to recommend that University event planners should be asked to use the University Center for conferences and large meetings whenever possible.  (2/26/04 minutes)

 

10.  The Committee agreed to support Marek's recommendation about procedures to be used when students (or their spouses) work at car dealerships and switch cars frequently.  (3/18/04 minutes)

 

11.  The Committee agreed to recommend that one or more parking meters should be installed in the Student Union West parking lot as a trial.  If those work well, additional locations will be selected and prioritized.  (3/18/04 minutes)

 

 

ADDENDUM D

 

 

Traffic and Parking Committee

Minutes of the 11/4/2004 Meeting

 

Those present: Lori Smith, Gina Uria, Paul Marek, Cherie Madarash-Hill, Mary Frances Marx, Byron Patterson, Ghassan Alkadi, David Ramsey.

 

I. Minutes from the 3/18/2004 meeting

 

The 3/18/2004 minutes were approved by the Committee last semester. They were distributed for informational purposes only.

 

II. Update on parking areas and impact of construction

 

Marek reported that parking areas had been renovated or established as follows: new lot on North Campus with 110 spaces, renovated lot by Pennington with 129 spaces, new lot by University Police Department with 85 spaces, temporary lot behind Taylor Hall with 250 spaces. They haven't received too many complaints this semester. The lot behind Taylor Hall will be restored as a rugby field once some other lots open or re-open. The topsoil from that area was saved for that purpose. Uria reported that the lots for the new residence halls should be ready when the halls open. Uria also reported that SGA Drive will need to be straightened, likely next semester, and that project will temporarily eliminate some faculty spaces on the East side of the street. As part of that project, some measures may be taken to improve the intersection of SGA Drive and Tennessee Ave. Marek pointed out that the large trucks being used in the construction projects are leaving a lot of dirt in the streets. Patterson said that the contractor should be cleaning the streets. Uria added that after May 2005, the renovation of Mead Hall will begin.

 

III. Update on proposed installation of parking meters in Student Union West

 

Marek said that someone from New Orleans was supposed to let us know when the city had signed a contract for meters, but he hasn't heard anything. He'll follow up on this.

 

IV. Update on long-term visitor hang-tag

 

Marek said that long-term tags with expiration dates were still being issued free of charge as needed. He said that for the time-being, he had decided not to pursue the idea of charging for these types of tags.

 

V. Update on carpool matching

 

Marek said he had done nothing further on this. Smith reported that she thought she'd seen somewhere that Jim McHodgkins had been assigned to pursue this idea. Marek said he'd check on that.

VI. Suggestions from Mary Sue Ply

 

1. More active presence by University Police

 

Marek said that we do still have bicycle patrols and he currently has five full- or part-time employees who write parking tickets. One of those will be retiring soon. He said that his staff hasn't really grown sufficiently to handle the growth in enrollment, and he'd really like to have nine people. After additional discussion, the Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration provide the University Police Department with additional personnel so that they can have a more active presence on campus.

 

2. Media campaign

 

Marek reported that media campaigns had been tried in the past and they didn't seem to be effective in the student environment. He suggested that if the Committee decided to recommend a media campaign, Rene Abadie from Public Information, or perhaps someone from the Marketing Dept. should be consulted. Smith said that she didn't believe that the regulations booklet currently contains any text that would discourage students from the types of activities Ply described in her message. After additional discussion, the Committee agreed to recommend against a media campaign and in favor of adding appropriate text to the regulations booklet.

 

3. Limit alumni decals to student spaces

 

The hang-tag for use of the Pennington Center suggested by Ply already exists. Smith suggested that allowing alumni to park in any zone, as visitors do, would likely tend to distribute those cars more fairly among the zones. Marek said that wasn't really true because both alumni and visitors tend to visit some buildings more than others. It was pointed out that a decision to limit alumni to student spaces would likely draw protests both from the students and the alumni. After additional discussion, the majority of the Committee agreed to recommend against making changes to the current rules for alumni parking.

 

4. Gates

 

After discussing various reasons why gates hadn't yet been installed on campus, the Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration consider installing gates on two or three faculty/staff lots on a pilot basis.

 

5. Increase registration fee to $30

 

Marek said it was his understanding that a Board rule sets the maximum parking registration fee at $25. In order to raise the fee, the University would have to request the permission of the Board. Our fee has been at $25 for several years now. Marek said that the money from the fee does go into a fund dedicated to traffic- and parking-related expenditures. Money collected from fines goes into the University's general fund. After additional discussion, the Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration seek approval from the Board to raise our fee to a level between $30 and $50.

 

6. Privatized shuttle service

 

Marek, Uria, and Smith said that studies of this issue had been done in the past and that the establishment of a shuttle service had been recommended to the Administration several times in recent years. After additional discussion, the Committee agreed to recommend that the Administration again consider ways to establish a shuttle service on campus.

 

7. Clearly marked bicycle paths and additional bike racks

 

Uria and Smith expressed concerns that many of the roadways on campus aren't currently wide enough to include a bike path. After additional discussion, the Committee agreed to recommend that bike paths should be marked in those areas where there is sufficient space, and should be included in plans for future renovations of roadways. After discussing the existing bike racks on campus, the Committee agreed to recommend that additional sturdy bike racks should be purchased and placed in appropriate locations.

 

VII.     Invoices for tickets from previous years

 

Marek reported that roughly 12,000 invoices had been mailed out to people by the Controller's Office. Some of the invoices reflected unpaid parking tickets that the recipients claimed had been paid years ago. The problem apparently occurred due to problems with transferring data from the old FIS system into PeopleSoft. Anyone who received one of these invoices will have to work with the Controller's Office to resolve any discrepancies.

 

VIII. Other business

 

Marx said that backing out from the on-street parking spaces onto SGA Drive at 4:30 p.m. was both frightening and dangerous. She suggested that a recommendation should be made to have a University Police officer on SGA Drive to monitor safety between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. when zones expire and many Library employees are leaving for the day. After additional discussion, it was agreed not to make such a recommendation in light of the existing manpower shortages in the University Police Department. (See VI.1.)

 

Lori Smith reporting.

11/5/2004 (revised 11/8/2004)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ADDENDUM E

 

See it here: http://www.selu.edu/Academics/Depts/FacSen/adjudication.doc

 

 

 

 

ADDENDUM F

 

 

 

               UNIVERSITY STANDING COMMITTEES (ELECTED) 2004-2005
  
  UPC
  Mike Beauvais (Bus/Tech) 2004-2006 *** (declare seat vacant elect a new BUS?)
  Alan Cannon (A&S) 2004-2006 (can remain and rep SCI/TECH)
  Cindy Elliott (E&HD) 2003-2005 (elect a new E&HD person)
  Cindy Logan (N&HS) 2003-2005 (elect a new N&HS)
  Debbie Longman (GS/LIB) 2004-2006 (can remain)
  Richard Louth (A&S) 2003-2005 (elect a new person from HUMS)
  William Parkinson (A&S) 2003-2005  (leave seat vacant until we find out
  what the split in the two colleges is in the fall and decide who gets this
  one seat-or give each half a new seat, bringing elected total to 8)  [I
  suspect HUM will be still very large.]
  David Wyld (FacSen) 2004-2005
  
  
  UNIVERSITY TENURE AND PROMOTION COMMITTEE
  Harold Blackwell 2003-2006
  Ramesh Bettagere 2004-2007
  Paul Carruth 2004-2007  (remain for BUS)
  Al Dranguet 2003-2005 (elect someone from SCI/TECH so that it will have
  two and HUM will have two)
  Chris Eleser 2002-2005  (elect new from GENS)
  Tom Fick 2003-2006  (remain for HUM)
  Beth Gray 2002-2005  (elect new from SCI/TECH)
  Paul Haschak 2003-2006
  Margaret Marshall 2004-2007
  Ann Nauman 2002-2005  (elect new from E&HD)
  Dale Parent 2004-2007  (remain for HUM)
  Beth Wadlington 2004-2007
  John Yeargain 2003-2006  (remain for BUS)
  
  
  FACULTY GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE
  Cheryll Javaherian 2003-2006  (remain for HUM)
  Karen Jung 2003-2006  (remain for library)
  Elizabeth Partridge 2002-2005  (elect new E&HD)
  Matt Rossano 2004-2007  (remain for HUM)
  Mary Sue Ply 2002-2005  (elect new SCI/TECH)
  Jean Urick 2002-2005  (elect new NURS/HS)
  John Yeargain 2003-2006  (remain for BUS)
  Alternates
  Janie Branham 2003-2006
  Sonya Carr 2002-2005  (elect new E&HD)
  Kurt Corbello 2003-2006  (remain for HUM)
  Wynn Gillan 2002-2005  (elect new for NURS&HS)
  Ken Li 2004-2007  (remain alt for new SCI/TECH-or could raise to member
  and just elect an alternate-but that could throw off the split)
  Sandra McKay 2003-2006  (remain for BUS)
  Stephen Rushing 2002-2005  (elect new HUM alternate)
  [do the counts in the fall to determine if this comm. needs another
  SCI/TECH seat or what]

 

 

 

ADDENDUM G

 

 

To: Faculty Senate

From: Louise Bostic, FAC representative

Re: Report of December 2, 3, 2004 FAC and BOS meetings

 

The FAC met at 3:30 in the Performing Arts Center, Nachitoches, with seven

representatives present, UL-Lafayette, LaTech, Southeastern, Grambling,

Northwestern(2 representatives), Nicholls, and McNeese. Dr Clausen and BOS

member Andre Coudrain dropped in at the beginning of our meeting and asked

if we objected to their listening for part of the time. No one objected.

 

Two items were brought before the committee:

 

1. The Council of Presidents' Master Plan for Retention and Completion: Dr

Clausen asked if she could comment. We did not object. Basically, Dr

Clausen stated that the plan for Retention and Completion would become more

intense and would be given more emphasis in the early months of 2005. She

said that she personally had told the presidents that their raises would be

based in large part on their effective planning and implementation of

actions which would address these issues. She said that she had no choice

if federal funds were to be assigned to Louisiana. That the directive has

come from the national level and that the state of Louisiana has in turn

mandated that the figures change for higher education. Dr Clausen also

assured the council that she is being active before the press and

legislature assuring these agencies that action is being taken and that the

statistics will show drastic improvement by 2007. She gave examples of her

action.

 

2. The Coalition of Academics and Athletics membership was again brought

before the group. No one had been able to spend the time necessary to get

details about the organization. Dr Clausen expressed interest in the

coalition. She suggested that we assign a faculty academic committee to

learn more about the group and if it is legitimate, that we ask our

presidents to support it through membership. She suggested that the

Council of Presidents could be a powerful vehicle for some very positive

publicity for Louisiana Universities who support an organization which

promotes academics among their athletes. I kind of thought David Ramsey and

his committee might be interested in this.

 

3. An item from McNeese stemmed from a discussion at their senate meeting

in November. There was a concern that faculty with less than 10 years would

lose all sick leave benefits and retirement when they left the state's

employment. This was discussed briefly, but the representative was asked

to bring back more detail of and the source of their concerns to the next

meeting. No one was aware of any pending changes to the current policy, but

most felt that new hires were eligible under the new 5 year plan to keep

their retirement. This discussion was postponed till January with a more

detailed report from McNeese.

 

4. Grambling asked for copies of our evaluation forms for Department Chairs

and Deans. They are developing forms of their own and needed models. All

Representatives had forms and agreed to fax them to Dr Willie.

 

We were happy to have Dr Clausen as our guest, but when she left, there was

very little time remaining for other business.

 

BOS Report:

Three items of particular interest to Southeastern was on Friday's agenda.

 

1. Southeastern's request for authority to take appropriate action with

respect to the revocation of degrees, certificates, and credits granted by

the University based upon the completion of an investigation and due

process steps, including recommendation of a University committee, was

granted.

 

2. Dr Clausen reported that 3.5 million dollars had been appropriated for

four institutions to implement an American Democracy Project. The four

institutions are Southeastern, UNO, Grambling, and ULL. This is a

consortium of Department of Education, the Governor's office, and the four

institutions. The emphasis is on student involvement in service learning and

social responsibility.

 

3. The third item involved a presentation by SGA member from Lafayette. It

was an interesting report and one that I personally feel might be

made-to-order for Southeastern's campus. The motivation for the action was

to find a way that the students at ULL could impact retention and

completion rates on their campus. The student group studied their situation

and decided that if they could unify the courses in some way campus-wide

that they might increase the success of students as they realized a

connection of courses throughout the curriculum. They felt if some

performance aspect were common from one course or curriculum to another,

that overall performance might improve. They decided to focus their

efforts in getting a universal software into every classroom. They chose

Blackboard as the software. They felt that the 24 hour access, and the

digital drop box alone could enhance performance in most classes. They

brought their ideas before the faculty senate and after much resistance

were able to convince the entire faculty to agree to use Blackboard with a

minimum of course syllabus and email roster by Summer 2005. With less

than half the faculty using Blackboard in August 2004, all agreed to have

training and to implement the minimum or more by the summer 05 timeline.

The administration budgeted for the training expenses and time was

scheduled for all faculty to be trained in the spring 05. They will be at

100% in the fall of 2005.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Louise Bostic

FAC representative